Search This Blog

Thursday, December 13, 2012

You Can Put Off That Oil Change

Yesterday's date was a unique one:  12/12/12.  It was supposed to bring all kinds of good luck, people stormed to get married, buy lottery tickets, even set out on great adventures.  For us, all it brought was rain.

There is a more important date upcoming:  12/21/12...the End of the World as predicted by the famous Mayan calendar.



There are people all over the world that are worried, even scared to death about this upcoming Apocalypse.

 
They are taking all kinds of precautions, doing everything they can to avoid a horrible death from the certain destruction that Mayan priests foresaw hundreds of years earlier.
 
I guess it's smart to believe in the teachings of men whom could have used a serious visit from the fashion police.
 
 
These worried people put great stock in these priests, whose favorite pastime was to drag human victims up to the top of their temples and sacrifice them to their gods, as authorities to have the knowledge about the end of time.
 
 
So to accept this vision as fact, what should we do to enjoy our final days on earth?
 
 
Maybe I'll put off doing that oil change in the Journey.  It's not going to do anybody any good to have a crankcase full of fresh oil when every atom on Earth is going to be blasted into oblivion.
 
Maybe we should all just go down to the beach like Sherry and watch the final sunset that we'll ever see.  Or maybe Nancy and Bill might chuck their healthy eating and enjoy a double cheeseburger with a large side of french fries.  Rick undoubtedly will back up every file on his computers, just in case.  I know Judy will tear around on her 7 mph golf cart and try and get just one more perfect picture of the Red Tailed Woodpecking Hawk that has eluded her for years.  As for Terri, she'll bake a couple of cherry pies to put aside as emergency rations in case the world doesn't completely collapse.  And I know that Laurie will go out and get one more pedicure.
 
Jeri and Terry?  I think we'll see them wander off into the sunset still looking for that perfect campground where they can drive their Razor off highway vehicle.  Mui and Erin will be so busy doing upgrades on their Phaeton, they probably will work right through the date.  And Steve and Karen, just days away from hitting the road fulltime, they'll be so covered with the things they are trying to fit into their Phaeton, they just might be shielded enough to survive the catastrophe.  I wouldn't doubt for a minute that Jo Beth and Catherine would spend the time watching football while eating delicious Mexican food.
 
But...what happens if the world doesn't end?   What will happen if we survive that wild ride?  I know there are many of us that will be terribly disappointed. 
 
 
Not to worry.  I found this.  It is called Impact Earth.  You can destroy the Earth over and over again from the comfort of your own home on your computer.
 
So take that, you silly Mayans!
 
 
Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.
 
 

23 comments:

  1. All of the doomsday predictions throughout history have one thing in common. They were all wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not losing sleep over it, that's for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing special for 12-12-12 - nothing special on 12-21-12 either. Just enjoying life. But I will be really upset if the world does end and we spent all this last year getting Jim fixed up so he can walk again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife believes that life as we know it will end on that day. But, I think it has more to do with the fact that its her 50th birthday.

    I wonder if I read way too many blogs. I got almost all of your references.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The special thing for me on 12/12/12 was that we got a new Geocache Souvenir. Yep! They awarded one for finding a cache or attending an event yesterday. Now... about 12/21/12... I doubt if they give out another award, but it will be special as that's my sister's 75th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a very hard time becoming involved in all the speculation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 12/12/12 was Craig's birthday. I ate cake...

    12/21/12 We have an appointment to get new shock on the Alfa. Maybe they will soften the end.

    Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh NO! What about my new hip on 01/08/13?? I'd hate to HOBBLE off into the sunset looking for that Red Tailed Woodpecking Hawk! What a hoot! Maybe I'd better try hobbling off to find the double-breasted caned magenta warbling owl?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too funny Paul;o)) We actually celebrate everyday because today is the most important day of our life!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nah, yesterday was a travel day. Tired, felt like the world ended, but just fell asleep :) The 21st, doubt it. I'm sure I'll get a pedicure in before then, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post figuring out what we'll all be doing on the 21st since there won't be any after. Golly can't imagine what's going to happen to all those Christmas packages we've been wrapping and shipping either. Well, I think we'll just worry about them on the 22nd and what I have left to wrap before the big day. In the meantime we'll both get haircuts and be ready for the BIG day.


    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I am not sure what the rest of the world will be doing but Brenda and I, along with a couple of horses, will be enjoying the company of some close friends and their equines around a campfire in the Sonoran National Monument so if it all comes to an end, leave word as to what happened so when we get back it is not all a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmm...I thought the end of the world was yesterday - 12/12/12! So, you mean I backed up my files for nothing? Now, I have to do it all over again for December 21st? Stupid Mayans! Didn't they know we'd have laptops, tablets, iPhones and stuff??

    ReplyDelete
  14. No sense worrying about the end of the world. I mean, if it's going to happen; it's going to happen and I can't do a darn thing about it ... except ... oh yes, I can blog about it :-)))))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good plan. Heading to the grocery store tomorrow and have the ingredients on my shopping list. . . just in case. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOL! Hadn't thought of how our "stuff" might actually protect us! :-) Not sure I want to get rid of it now....

    ReplyDelete
  17. So if I actually see that elusive sunrise on the 22nd I'll know the world didn't end I guess. Now I have to really get the blog up to date so I can let you know before 2013!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Football and Mexican food- well, if you gotta go that is the way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. not even listening to it or worrying about it...just enjoying each day as it comes here in the sunny south...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'll be knitting up storm to get my little Christmas ornaments done, wouldn't want to leave any project left undone! Eldy will be playing his last game of Solitaire on his iPad. (wink wink) Loved the photos and the topic today....

    ReplyDelete