By dividing it into about one foot square sections, it makes it easier to keep going instead of feeling overwhelmed, it is a very slow and tedious job, making my hands cramp up after just a few minutes.
To make it easier, I found that plastic scrapers are a little bit easier to use as there is more to hold than just plastic razor blades. To facilitate the process, I use a heat gun on low and remove a few inches at a time. Too much heat melts the plastic and makes it harder to remove, so just a few seconds of warming in a small 2"x2" area makes the plastic come off with less effort.
Once the plastic is peeled off, the glue remains with the mold spots. This has to be removed, too. Heat doesn't work on this.
With a good recommendation from a fellow RV friend, I got some 3M Adhesive Remover, It has to be sprayed on liberally. Of course, I ran out, so I got some industrial strength Goof Off which worked just as well.
After spraying the adhesive remover on and letting it soak for a minute or two, the plastic scraper easily slides the glue off.
After removing all the glue residue, I cleaned the surface with Simple Green and then waxed the paint. It came out looking great.
If you look closely at the above picture, you can see mold growing under the Diamond Shield covering the gray paint. That's another big job that I'll leave for another time. It's been very hot here now and I'm glad that I've at least finished the worst looking area. California heat waves are nothing to be working in if you don't have to.
Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.