Search This Blog


Tuesday, August 24, 2010

New Twist in Life

Before I get to the twist, the final estimate for the Journey came in today, $3600.  My dealer will start it next Wednesday and it will be finished Friday, just in time for our Labor Day camping trip. :c)

We have purchased three motorhomes from this dealer since 2001 and my father has purchased two, so we're pretty good customers.  He is not the cheapest dealer but I've received nothing but first class service from him when I need it and I get in pretty quickly.  So it's nice to see loyalty back to me because I'm a loyal customer.

Now for the twist.  I have an opportunity to put in for two real good assignments, they both are members of a team that does the same job.  A couple of years ago, I had one of these assignments, spent over four years in the job and traveled not only all over the country but all over the world.  I went to such places as Russia a couple of times, and walked through Red Square twice, London, saw the Panama Canal locks from underneath (where all the machinery is) and other places I'd never dreamed I'd see.

A chance to do this again is very tempting.  It would be a two year tour, starting in July 2011.  I'd get a promotion during the tour, too.  So it has some benefits, an increase in pay and my pension, a chance to (hopefully) see our house property value increase and pay off the remaining balance on our mortgage.

On the other hand, we're not getting any younger and no one knows what tomorrow will bring.  Marti's job is not getting any less stressful and since she's already the top dog, there is no where else for her to go.  We both can retire and sell the house (although the values keeps dropping) and hit the road comfortably  right now.

It's a hard choice, we see both sides and they both are attractive, but only one will be the right one.  And that's what we're wrestling with now.  I don't have to make any decisions now but I won't be able to sit on the fence indefinitely.  Another twist of life.

Thanks for visiting and please feel free to leave a comment.

4 comments:

  1. Always follow your hearts...you will know which direction to take...listen deep inside. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we listen deep inside, and follow God's direction. We have always prayed for direction, and kept moving until doors closed... These twists in life can get interesting! (ie- stressful!) Thanks for your encouragement! ~Marti

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul and Marti,
    You have a good problem. You have two good options to chose from. Enjoy figuring it all out. If you have a few minutes, come by and read about Jonathan and Nellie Tate - The Midlife Cruisers at my blog - A Camp Host Housewife's Meanderings http://acamphosthousewifesmeanderings.blogspot.com/. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's a toughie - you have my sympathy. When I went on the road, I knew it was the right thing, but I know it can't always be easy, especially when there are two of you.

    ReplyDelete