Search This Blog


Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Care Of An Older Motorhome

Yikes!  I can’t believe that our Winnebago Journey motorhome is over seven years old already.  We purchased it new in May 2007 with a plan to use it as our full time home.  It was built in November 2006.

It has worked out wonderfully as we had planned for it to do.  Yes, a little tight on storage space (what fulltimer hasn’t had that problem?) but has given us faithful service over the years and the 66,000 miles we’ve traveled in it…so far. ;c)

No matter where you live, or what you live in, maintenance is always a requirement.  If you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time, you’ll know I’m a stickler for preventive maintenance.  One item that has been on my list for a while now is taking care of a rust issue on my basement compartments.

                IMG_4757

                IMG_4758

                IMG_4759

This rust under the basement compartment doors is a long time issue on older Winnebagos.  I had it on my 2003 Winnebago Adventurer and have it on the Journey.  Despite Winnebago claiming they use primer on the steel used in the construction of their products, it still remains an issue.  I hope they’ve corrected it in current models.

That being said, every brand of RV has its problems and I had to get this fixed.  I did some touch ups a few years ago, but the rust reappeared in those spots and broke out anew in other areas.

First off, I got out my electric drill and some wire brushes.

                 IMG_4756

With an eye on safety (always!) I got all “dolled up” for the task.

                 IMG_4762

I spent several hours grinding and cleaning out all the rust to get back down to bare metal.

                 IMG_4761

Once I got all the rust cleaned off, I gave the areas a coating of this Rust-oleum product.  (No I’m not making shadow animals).

                 IMG_4763

After a coating of the rust reformer dried, I followed up brushing on some Rust-oleum glass black paint, and managed to more of it on the affected areas than on myself (for a change!). 

All the work came out well.  Another job scratched off my list.

               IMG_4766

               IMG_4765

With what this motorhome cost, I intend to do everything I can to keep it running well, looking good and “ship shape”.

Marti doesn’t help me with these kinds of tasks, she takes care of things we both agree are a higher priority.

               IMG_4753

Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.

                    license_20110706205528_24375[1]

18 comments:

  1. When I used to own an auto body repair shop, customers would ask if there was a guarantee regarding rust repairs. Yes, there was. "Guaranteed, the rust is going to come back", I would tell them jokingly.

    But unfortunately, that's pretty much true unless you have the tools and equipment to dismantle and properly sandblast and treat the metal and get at what's hidden in seams. But for now, at least it's better than it was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always maintenance issues with anything. I have done a few minor touch ups on our coach, (15 year old Holiday Rambler) but nothing as bad as that. Should help keep things looking good for a few more years.
    Good job, we do need to keep on top of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure looks a lot better Paul. Hope it lasts a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your derusting outfit is very stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job as always. Or you could just move to the southwest. Marti is doing a fine job with her duties too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks better than new... hope it last a long time!!! Great photo of Marti tending to the "important" stuff;o))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh, it's always something and if you let a few things go, then all of a sudden your play catch up. Good job on that one though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job! I don't know how long it will last but the job Marti is doing will pay benefits for a lifetime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. All that maintenance work will pay off big time in the end - so will Marti's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Time for a cold beer and to admire your handy work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. always a little preventative maintenance chore that needs doin'. . .at least you can check that one off the list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. always some mtnc chore or another ... pays to keep up with them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rust was a major issue on our Meridian, I would work on it every other month for at least two or three days each month. It is, in my mind a Winnebago quality issue, as I never had to work on the Freightliner chassis, it never showed any real rust.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember touching up our Damon around those same bin areas & I did some paint touch up on the Triple E as well about a month ago. Bare unprotected metal & salty air or roads just don't add up to a good combination. Groovy space man photo with red ear pads, blue tinged glasses & a white mask & hat to match........

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wish I had one of those parked in front of my house, all tanked up & ready to roll.Thanks for sharing it on this blog, and we'll keep coming back for more!

    Campervan hire Darwin

    ReplyDelete