One joy of our extended stay here in our South Carolina “home” is spending quality time with the boys. We get to be involved in their lives and they actually want to spend time with us (go figure).
We watched Andrew playing soccer, he was the goalie for most of the game.
At the campground, there is a large pond, which fascinates the boys.
There is always some new thing to see, fish, turtles or creatures they’ve never seen before.
Little tadpoles. I was able to explain the wonders of nature to them and how the tadpoles will grow into frogs, if they don’t run across a hungry fish or turtle first. The boys loved seeing and catching the tadpoles, but we carefully returned the tadpoles to the pond so they can grow.
Of course owning an RV comes with wonders of its own. You wonder what is going to act up next. The next picture does not bode well for a clean and easy repair.
Yep, my black tank valve (why does it always have to be the black tank?) is acting up. It is binding when I open and close it, and will have to be replaced. Evidently the rubber seals are wearing or ripped and will eventually fail and allow the tank to leak.
Since I’ll have to take the whole sewer manifold off, I’m going to replace the gray tank valve at the same time. Don’t want to do it twice.
Fortunately I have a flushing system on the black tank, so I’ll be giving it a serious bunch of flushes before I take the valves apart. I have had one black tank experience where I had to pick up “things” that fell out on the ground, I don’t want to be repeating that!
(Picking up “Things” after a sewer hose came apart)
It’s just as well that I do the valves now because I notice a couple months ago another problem that was developing.
The rubber couplings that attach the dump valve manifold to the black and gray tanks are starting to dry out and crack. I didn’t want to order these from Winnebago and pay big bucks, so I looked around MFS (Man’s Favorite Store), Home Depot, and found these for under eight bucks.
Heavy duty pipe couplings. I can remove the rubber piece from inside the metal clamp and use it that way, or install it with the clamp. I haven’t decided yet if I’ll use the clamp, I’m leaning towards not, so I can keep an eye on the rubber for possible cracking down the road like the originals.
I’m holding off on this job for a short while. Marti and I will be leaving Wednesday for a car trip up to NJ and PA to visit the granddaughters, little Rebekah is turning one next week and we want to be there for this milestone birthday.
I figure I’d better wait to do this job for when I get back, because things never go as smoothly as planned and from experience, it could require some additional trips to Home Depot or Camping World. (Don’t ask me how I know this).
I’ll do a post on the repair when I get back, I want to take my time, do it right and ensure no “things” fall out of the black tank and get in the pictures. ;c)
Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.