Search This Blog


Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Fun With Verizon

Yes, I’m one who has been caught up in the Millenicom demise.  We enjoyed using our MiFi when it was $69/month for 20 GB.  We still enjoyed it (with slightly clenched teeth) when the price increased to $89/month.  Internet access is important to us as fulltime RVers.

So it came as a surprise when I found out Millenicom had gone out of business and if I wanted to continue to use my MiFi, I had to switch to Verizon.

Pouring over RV  blogs and forums to see what was going to happen to former Millenicom subscribers, I decided to bite the bullet and hang on to the bitter end to see what was going to be the final result, fully expecting to get it in the shorts.

Thanks to Al from the Bayfield Bunch, I became aware that Verizon sent out a text message on my MiFi device listing a phone number to call.  I called it and after being on hold for almost two hours, I gave up.

I recalled today with plenty of time and after being on hold for more than two hours, I got a real live person.  I was told that Verizon was not offering an $89/month one year deal for Millenicom subscribers, but would offer a $99.99/month (plus tax) deal for 20GB with no contract.

Okay, so I said I’d take it.  I was given a Verizon account number and the link to the Verizon website where I had to go to register my device and set up payment.

After logging on and trying to register my account, I was instructed that I needed a pin number for the account and it would be sent via mail to my billing address in Sioux Falls, SD.  Not an option!

I called the customer service number and after about 20 minutes of getting nowhere, I was transferred to another rep at a higher level, who couldn’t understand why I couldn’t get registered.  After several deletions and  reapplications of my account over the next hour with no result, I had to terminate the call because I had an appointment I had to go to.  I asked if I could get a direct number to call back this department, but was told no, I’d have to go back to the customer service number again.

I’ll be trying again tomorrow, steeling myself for more waiting on hold for the next representative and get this worked out. Hopefully this is not indicative of the service I’ll get from Verizon.

Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.

                    license_20110706205528_24375[1]

16 comments:

  1. So sorry that you have had so many problems with Verizon. I must be due to the change from Millencom..... We have been with Verizon for 5 years and find their service to be outstanding. Hang in there....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I bit the bullet today too. However, that bullet wasn't with Verizon. I figure the better deal is with AT&T because that's where we have our cell phones. This is the double deal month so an additional $42 on our bill with them and $58 savings than with Verizon I now have 40GB of data on our shared plan. I think if you have Verizon phones you can do the same with them. However, we will probably add another mifi and that'll cost us $20 a month but we're still ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, two hours twice. You are a patient man. is this 40 gigs on your mifi plus the monthly cost of your phones?? I remember fondly when I had a land line with DSL, phone and data, $50 a month. Ahhh the good old days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, just the 20GB/month. We don't have Verizon for our phone, we have AT&T phones because Verizon didn't work where we lived in VA. Now that we're in Modoc, SC, we had to get a Verizon pay as you go phone because our AT&T phones don't work here.

      All the crowing by phone companies about how good their coverage's are is a bit of hype. Wish I could afford a satellite phone...

      Delete
  4. We had already bailed on millenicom. We switched to cable for 69.99 per month since we are stationary now. We will use our phones for hot spots and up our data for the months we travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with a solution. We have stayed with Verizon , pay a bit more but works wonderful for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! We already had a Verizon phone/account so I was able to switch us over online. We ended up with 30 gb data on the more everything plan for about the same price as our old phone plan + Millenicom. With the double data deals this month, we were going to switch over to Verizon anyhow, so Millenicom's decision didn't make much difference to us.
    Wishing you better luck on the phone today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mui managed to get it all worked out at the Verizon store without much pain, and our interactions with Verizon online and over the phone so far has been good. Of course, we decided to bail early and just do the More Everything Plan, which will make it easier for Mui to upload his HD videos without worrying about what that does to our data GBs, so the Millenicom complexity didn't enter into the picture. Hope you get a resolution today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time we have a problem with Verizon the only way we get it resolved is by going to one of their Corporate Stores. We never get anything accomplished on the phone.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paul - they're out to get you! Scream out your window "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore". They'll probably cart you off to the asylum but I hear they have good phone service there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea, as long as you and I could get adjacent rooms!

      Delete
  10. Oh Boy, can't wait... we need to play this game real soon;o((( Hope you get it set up and can get on with life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just pay lots and lots of money to Verizon, but have unlimited data, many minutes, and our phone is our wifi hot spot. I guess the answer is to pay a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank goodness we workamp so much that we have so much free wifi. We only pay for 5gb of data with Verizon and don't qualify for the double data deals. Hope everything works out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like your getting the good ole corporate run around, they figure you'll give up and just keep paying!!! Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had a similar experience with them. I had already went to Verizon a week ago though and bought a new jetpack and signed up for 12 GB. I waited an hour and a half and decided I will never get that time back. So I will invest a little more money, which I feel we can all afford more than time.

    ReplyDelete