Search This Blog


Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cleaning Up

Dirt.  It's everywhere.  It drives me crazy to see it all over the Journey.  I like clean and shiny and love to have that look on our motorhome.

I guess it is my OCD kicking in, but I'm sure the Journey runs better when its is washed.  I have all kinds of bushes and soaps and waxes that I carry to use when the evil dirt adheres to the sides of our rolling home.

Living on the road makes washing the Journey very difficult.  Most campgrounds have a "No Wash" policy.  I've only seen one campground, the America's Best Campground in Branson, MO that has an actual washing station where you can clean your RV.  Another campground would let you wash you RV after paying a fee.  But most won't let you.

I was very pleased to find that the Escapees campground in Livingston, TX lets you wash your rig, as long as you had a nozzle on your hose.  I was happy to scrub the Journey back to its clean and shiny look.  However, that was the last place I was able to wash it.

Driving from Texas to Florida, up to New Jersey, down to South Carolina, to Florida (again), back to South Carolina and on the way to Myrtle Beach, lets just say that we no longer were sure what color the Journey was (or used to be).

I've flirted before with the idea of using a truck wash, but was worried because of the horror stories I've read.  Scratched paint from dirty brushes, decals and paint knocked off from high pressure hoses.  Others had damage to seals.  Trying to get your RV clean could cause lots of potential problems.

On the other hand, I couldn't stand the dirt any longer.  A stop at a Flying J with a truck wash next door pushed me over the edge, I decided to risk it and draw my own conclusions. 

We drove up to the Blue Beacon Truck Wash.  They took us right in and gave us a choice of washes, I chose the basic wash and a follow on coating of RainEx for $47 (with tax).  The staff was friendly, professional and best of all, quick.

The results?  An "A+" job.  No damage, not lost decals, no scratches, just a clean and shiny RV, just the way I like it.  Yes, it is not cheap, but for those times when I just can't find a way to wash the Journey, I'll use Blue Beacon.  I like it when the Journey runs well, looking spiffy.  :c)

Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.

24 comments:

  1. One of these days .. We will wash! It seems our poor Alfa ends up at a fibrrglass repair station so often that their washes have been sufficent! Craig is still learning not to run into thigs

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny. A little dirt doesn't bother me, but $47 for a wash and RainEx sounds pretty good to me. I'll tell Ron since dirt bothers him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Blue Beacon. We always stopped with our motorhome. Otherwise we stay dirty. And I don't think $47 is very expensive either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, I've been using Blu Beacon for 4 years and have always been satisfied. I especially like the Rain-X treatment. Happy travels in a clean motorhome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy to hear all these great reviews for Blue Beacon. I also think it's very reasonable. I've had that site bookmarked for 2 years but we still have not used them. Now, if we're ever in the right area, we'll be confident knowing they'll do a good job :) FWIW, Lucy is the color of dirt-planned that way-so it's difficult to tell when she's dirty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. a shiny rv is a happy rv!..enjoy the gleam!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've stopped at quite a few Blue Beacons and never had a problem. The price is right and it sure beats doing it yourself for that price. Besides just like you said, most places won't let you use the water in the park to wash it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've had good luck so far with getting permission to bucket wash the rig in the parks we've stayed at. Not ideal, perhaps, but it gets the job done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My truck drivers at work like to stop at the Blue Beacons as well, give them good reports. George hates the RV being dirty :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a bargain to me. I like a clean RV. Glad you tested Blue Beacon out for the rest of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We changed our "outdoor shower" line to a regular garden hose and sprayer. So we are using our own on-board water and pump to wash our rig.

    Using this method, we have hosed off our rig and toad in parking lots. And once we pulled off a very very dusty dirt road in Arizona, we used it to rinse off our radiator too.

    We also used a Blue Beacon once, and they did a great job. For the price and convenience, it can't be beat.

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. $47 is cheap. I've usually paid $100 or more if I can find willing interns on refuges to do the job for me. Of course that includes a wax job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have a small electric pressure washer, and can use inboard water and power in parking lots. But, for $47.00 we will look for them. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. excellent price for an A+ job...we feel your pain for sure..everytime we moved the Ossumer was filthy..rick was forever 'bucket washing' by hand in the cgs...hard to keep the rig shiny...

    ReplyDelete
  15. We have used 6 different blue beacons and been happy with all of them.

    Unfortunately the closest is 4 hours away in CT. We live in NH and stop every time!

    Katy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a timely blog Paul. I looked up Blue Beacon and there is one about 9 miles away from where we will be for out 2 months of transplant fun. Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Next time your at a military campground, give her a wash, seems most of them allow it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am embarrassed to say how few times I washed the Meridian in six years:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for mentioned Blue Beacon. We've paid anywhere from $100 to $250 every time we wash the 5er. We washed it ourselves only once, it's too much work for us. We'll start looking for Blue Beacon instead.

    ReplyDelete
  20. butterbean carpenterJune 24, 2012 at 3:41 PM

    Howdy M&P,
    Paul, Nick Russell swears by Blue Beacon and praises the highly, in his Gypsy Journal!! I always thought they cost about $100.. I live in 'dry' W Texas and the WIND helps keep mine clean!!! Thanx for the trip to Disney$$$$ World, it was a 'wash/drip/dry'!!! Glad the little fellers enjoyed it!! Hug the red-head!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yeah, with a big vehicle like this, you need to let a good truck wash do the job. It’s great that it provides your vehicle with the best wash available! You know, a good truck wash offers multiple wash programs, from removing the mud, to the complete wash and wax program.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeah, with a big vehicle like this, you need to let a good truck wash do the job. It’s great that it provides your vehicle with the best wash available! You know, a good truck wash offers multiple wash programs, from removing the mud, to the complete wash and wax program.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Whether you’ll have a short or long trip, it is important to keep your RV clean and fresh. Actually, it’s a must for all types of vehicles. Cleaning should be done inside and out so that no bacteria or mold will accrue in your RV space.

    -Tobias Thrash

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's very awful to travel with dirt! We have an RV that's a lot smaller than yours so it's not much of an issue but we are planning to have one like that in the near future so we can go to far off places. How often do you find campsites that allow cleaning? Do you think it would be a problem say...about 3 years from now?


    Tia Oshields

    ReplyDelete