Search This Blog


Thursday, July 19, 2012

Learning To Speak Rhode Islander

Leaving New Jersey, we pointed the Journey North and headed to the area of the country where Marti hailed from, known as New England.  We were not going all the way to Massachusetts where Marti lived when I met her, instead we were stopping a little short in Rhode Island where Marti’s big sister, Gail lives.

It was only 270 miles, but the trip took us several hours longer than we anticipated due to unexplained traffic tie ups that left us longing for those wide open spaces we drove through in Texas.

Once we arrived, Marti helped me back the Journey into Gail’s driveway where we’re going to stay the next couple of weeks to practice our “Moochdocking” technique.  There was a bush, a tree, a telephone pole and a support wire on the pole to thread around but we got in on the first try.  The support wire was nicely placed at a proper angle so I could open the slide right around it.

DSC03617

Marti was happy to see Gail, and visa-versa.  Let the fun begin.

DSC03619

One thing I noticed quickly is that people in Rhode Island talk funny.  They drop some of the letters of the alphabet and don’t understand my perfect English.  For example, they drive “Caaahs” and serve a delectable soup call “Clam Chowdaaah”.  They also don’t understand how to follow instructions on making coffee. 

This morning, to treat Marti, I ran down the street to Dunkin Doughnuts and get her a cup of coffee.  Marti likes her coffee to be light on the cream and sugar.  The girl that made the coffee didn’t understand “light” and after several tries of making the coffee look the color of milk, I got her to understand that I wanted only a little cream and sugar.

The product I finally got looked like coffee, but she took “light sugar” a little to far and didn’t put any in.  I tried, honest, I tried.  I just don’t speak Rhode Islander.

The strange language further lifted its ugly head when we went out for dinner tonight, but I was ready.  I practiced in my head over and over again and was able to order the right meal by using the right word: “Lobstaah”.

DSC03623

It was delicious, no matter how you pronounce it.  Gail joined me eating her own lobster, er lobstaah,

DSC03624

But poor Marti has seafood allergies, so she had to settle for turkey.  Funny, in Rhode Island they call turkey “turkey”, just like in the rest of the country.  I guess some words cross state lines sounding the same way.

DSC03627

After dinner, we drove down to Narragansett Bay to watch the sailboats. 

DSC03628

DSC03634

There was a nice, fresh breeze moving the sailboats along.  Over our heads, there were some others sailing on the breeze.

DSC03637

Since they were right over our heads, the better part of wisdom was for us to move along…

Lots for us to do here, so stay tuned and see what kind of trouble we get ourselves into.  Gail is quite the instigator.

Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.

license_20110706205528_24375[1]

17 comments:

  1. Yum, I love lobstah..George not so much. S'ok, most restaurants that have lobster have chicken :)
    Looks like Marti is having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in Newport? I lived for a while right on the Narragansett Bay there. It was before they built the bridge (I know how much I'm dating myself here) and I loved to hear the ferry horns as they went back and forth. I always wished they hadn't built that bridge and the one over to PEI too.

    Lobstaah is my favorite food in all the world. Poor poor Marti not to be able to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, we're in Warwick, but we intend on doing some visits to Newport.

      Newport was one of my cutter's favorite liberty ports when we pulled in from patrols. Lots of campfire stories to tell about those visits, some of them are even true... ;c)

      Delete
  3. hooe you enjoy your stay with Marti's sister!..nice 'campsite' you got there!!!..enjoy the lobstaah!..yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Met a fellow here in Vienna a couple years back, and not too far into our conversation I asked, "So you're from the Boston area?" Wasn't hard to figure out.

    It's tricky to know what to ask for when it comes to local usages. We (Canadians) call them "Washrooms", the Americans call them "Restrooms" (neither of which make all that much sense, really) but most everywhere else the term "toilet" is used. So when my son-in-law mistakenly asked to use the washroom when we stopped on the way back to the airport, we couldn't figure out what was taking so long. Come to find out, the clerk had to get the key to the "wash room", where there was only a sink and a shower. By that point my son-in-law really, really had to go.
    You can use your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice park there folks...enjoy your time with Marti's family...glad you got to eat some Lobstaah.......hope it was the best ever...

    ReplyDelete
  6. No matter how they pronounce it, my mouth is watering. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the kind of sister-in-law to have - an instigator. Should be a fun visit. Not a lobster or lobstaah fan but crab cakes - definitely a yes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my mouth is watering. We're thinking of doing New England next summer and I think you just sealed the deal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. No allergies to lobstaah, but I find the sweet meat goes a long ways. Rhode Island has bitter sweet memories for us -- we were returning home from there when our aircraft flew right by the Towers in NYC ... that was early evening on 9/10/2011. Little did we know at the time that we would not be seeing the Towers again in person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Boy oh boy are you learning how to speak different languages. You're learning the important words such as Clam Chowdaaah and lobstaah. Some words count more than other words. Another one you're doing quite well at is moochdocking. You need to practice lots. Too bad we don't have bigger families and more friends with long driveways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could go for some lobstaah. Mike would opt for the steak (sheesh).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw a license plate one time in Bar Harbor...it said, "Ba Ha Ba". :-) Listened to a lobstah man talk about 60 years of lobstering, and we had to strain to understand him, but it's all apart of the wonderful world of full time RVing. Wouldn't trade it for the world! or a plate of lobstah. I'm with Mike on the steak. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lobstaaah...yum. Keep those sisters at bay or they could really doo you in....lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. A friend from Massachusetts, once explain the phenomenon to me. She asked, "Do you know why we drop the r's in words like caaah?" Seriously, I replied, "No." She explained, "It's so we have them left over for words like idear."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks yummy!! Have a great time up there. Love Barbara's comment!

    ReplyDelete