Search This Blog


Saturday, September 22, 2012

Double Strike Out

Today being our first full day in Branson, I got a little chance to relax (snooze in my recliner) while Marti and Gail took care of buying all the tickets for this week of shows.  Tonight we were supposed to see the "Rat Pack", a tribute to Frank, Dean, Sammy by impersonators that sing and dance to that famous music.


It was an evening show and when we pulled up to the theater, the lot was empty.  We figured it was because we were a little early.  Wrong.  It was because the show was cancelled.  Seems two of the show members called in sick. Strike out!  We will get our money back, but because we have other shows already scheduled for our week here, we'll have to pass on seeing it on another day.

Then the air conditioner on the Journey acted up.  Actually, it didn't act at all.  Just hummed a bit and the blower fan never came on.  Uh oh.  This could be expensive.


I opened up the side of the a/c unit, it is a basement type air conditioner and took a look inside.  I found the start capacitor for the blower fan, a little device about the size and shape of a salt shaker was dripping water despite having a rubber cover on it.  The blower motor itself was hot to touch.

I pulled the rubber cover back and found the inside was all burned, corroded and melted.  Ah ha, the problem.  A simple fix.  Not!  Looking online in the Branson area, there are no electrical supply stores in the area that will sell retail, only wholesale.  Meaning, even if they have the part, I can't buy it.  Strike out number two!  Fortunately, the weather has been mild, the nights cool, so not having the a/c for a few days is not going to be a problem.

Of course, now is the weekend, so even if I were to go to the wholesale supply stores and throw myself on their mercy and plead my case (beg, even) that embarrassment will have to wait for Monday.  Pictures will follow, too.  I'd have taken some, but the capacitor was leaking really sticky fluid and I got it all over my fingers.  I have enough trouble with cameras as it is, getting sticky fingerprints all over it would not be a good idea.

So, we'll see how this all works out.  A fifteen minute repair and who knows how many hours to get the part.  Stay tuned.

Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.

19 comments:

  1. Hope the repair is cheaper than the price your imagination has conjured up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you missed the Rat Pack. That would have been fun. Good luck with your repair. I have no idea what you were talking about!! Well, I did understand the part about sticky fingers and cameras not being a good match.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Good thing it wasn't the flux capacitor. I really need to keep a log of all the things that can go wrong with the RV along with how to repair. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the Grainger Suppy Co in Branson will have your "motor starting capacitor. 417 335-6193 If not, they can get it for you in a day from Springfield. They sell "over the counter", cash or credit card. Be sure to take your dead capacitor for positive identification They have a great web site, but face to face is this most reliable identification
    acheapguy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Grainger would have been my first choice but I knew they only sold wholesale. Now armed with that information, that will be my first stop Monday. Thanks so much for the information, I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  5. You are just so handy! We would have just called the mobile repairman.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do be careful with that "sticky stuff" from your capacitor.
    There hasn't been PCBs in caps for many a year, but the sticky stuff would still make me nervous. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two strikeouts means you're due for two home runs now ... with a source for your capacitor provided by acheapguy above, you just might have an easier fix ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. I know I wouldn't know what to do, but George would (maybe!). I'm with Gail, I woulda just called up a mobile repair guy $$ :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you have some mild weather. Hope you are able to find the part. That was always my concern when we had basement air- only one unit. At least now, if one goes out we have two more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like others have said... if that happened to me I wouldn't have the foggiest notion what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems if it's not one thing, it's something else in these fulltiming units. Hope you get it fixed and fixed inexpensively.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope your repair goes smoothly with no more hold-ups for parts of set-backs. Kinda reminds me of getting a bad toothache on a Friday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ohh no...not a good thing..good luck with the repairs....darn Murphy...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Murphy seems to visit us mostly late on Fridays or on Saturdays as well. I just love when blog followers can help you out with important information. Hope it all goes well and the fix is as easy as you are imagining.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I'm confused. My friends tell me I'm the exception , being able to walk into Grainger and buy with cash. I'm in the Los Angeles area , and have never been refused. Maybe it's because I pay by cash, and not dredit card? I don't know...
    I guess if they play by the rules in Mo, you will have to go to the parts counter at an rv store. Hate for you to have strike four or five :)
    acheapguy

    ReplyDelete
  16. That doesn't sound like a 15 minute fix to me, but it's wonderful you can fix it. Good luck with your part search. (Yes, we do want to see those begging pictures.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. good thing you were able to find the problem and it's a common part. Good luck............

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yikes. It sounds like it could have started a fire. Hope you'll be able to find the part and get it fixed yourself!

    ReplyDelete