Search This Blog


Saturday, November 24, 2012

I’m Forever Blowing Bubbles

Wow, baby!  It’s getting cold here in New Jersey!  How’d that happen?  Do you suppose winter’s impending arrival has anything to do with it?

And the icing on the cake?  Forecasts call for a “Wintery Mix” on the horizon accompanied by cold temperatures.  Peachy, just peachy.

We’re planning on leaving NJ for warmer climes (hopefully) in South Carolina on Thursday, so we’ll have to endure this taste,( and hopefully only) of winter weather.

Of course, not being able to fill the onboard propane tank the other day has made for some worries about keeping warm.  We arrived with a half tank of propane.  It has now gone down a good bit and won’t last until our departure date.

 DSC05272

To make matters even more fun, there is no good place around here to pull up chocks on the Journey and get the tank filled.  Fortunately I planned ahead.  I bought an Extend-a-Stay kit for circumstances just like this.  I also bought a small propane tank with a gauge so I’ll know when it is running out and then turn on the main tank.

DSC05275

The install is easy.  The big thing to remember is that the threads are Left Hand instead of the normal right hand.  It was just a matter of pulling off the plastic cover over the regulator, unbolting the fittings, then installing the Extend-a-Stay part and screwing the original fittings into the it.  The shiny brass part is the Extend-a-Stay.  The black hose runs to the external propane tank.

DSC05273

Before putting away the tools, I took a cupful of soapy water and a paper towel and dripped the soapy water over all the fittings.  I kept seeing bubbles where the hose attached.  I found that you have to ensure the hose is screwed in really tight.  Once the bubbles stopped, I reinstalled the plastic cover over the regulator that keeps it clean.

DSC05274

Now we can face the worst winter has to offer and be warm and cozy inside the Journey.  When we run low, it’s easy to get the portable tank refilled and we don’t have to move the motorhome.

And I’ll leave blowing bubbles to the expert. ;c)

DSC05259

Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.

license_20110706205528_24375[1]

16 comments:

  1. Frustrating, but glad that you have a back up plan to stay nice and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Flame Heater!! Love ours. Doesn't use as much propane. And get out of the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good move, another alternative is to point the journey south and don't stop until the temp reaches 80.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those small propane tanks are great. So much easier to get filled. Our propane tank has said 60% for the past year. We just keep using the stove but don't use it for heat very much. Not sure if the guage is working or not.

    Not stopping until 80 degrees may put you into Cuba from what I've heard about temps in the Keys. It's low to mid 60's here in southern S.C.

    That closing shot is simply adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you related to Lawrence Welk?? :)

    I use Windex to check my extend-a-stay connection. My neighbor volunteer uses one of those click fire lighters. :O I think he's nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, he's either nuts or a giant marshmallow waiting to be toasted!

      Delete
  6. Good idea with the extend-a-stay but then you have to tote that tank around with you too. I'd rather just be south and not worry about it :)

    Love the bubbles photo at the end...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just so you know...we are in Columbia, SC tonight and the low is going to be 30 degrees;o((( Let's hope this is just one of those fronts coming through and that winter won't be too bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hope the snow stays away and you are able to continue to be warm and cozy inside the motorhome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds great. BUT, how do you protect your water pump? Just askin....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Journey has an enclosed basement and all the water tanks as well as the plumbing and the water pump are located within it. The furnace has ducts that blow heat down into the basement to keep the plumbing warm.

      I carry two tiny electric heaters to use in the basement if I can't use the furnace for some reason, but so far (knock wood) have never needed them.



      Delete
  10. Leaving the bubbles to the expert was the best thing to do. However, with that cold, cold weather there it really is time to get out of there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have one of those extended stays I've never used it yet but I'll have to remember that tip about really tightening up the connections.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bought that propane kit, but never used it. It is around someplace. Glad to know it would have worked if I needed it:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think George has one of those extend a stay things. I stay away from propane. I don't even like using a lighter much :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your right, your wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to far north for this time of year!!! Time to point er south!!! Enjoy all the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete