(Click on the pictures to enlarge)
The weather was nice this afternoon, it warmed up from last night’s 39 degrees (F) so I tackled my big boo boo, to set it right. Unfortunately, my helpers got hijacked by their mom to help her take down Christmas decorations, so it was a lonely job. The nerve!
First, I bent the twisted metal back into position, getting it as straight as I could.
Next, I had to drill out the remainders of the broken rivets that were pulled out when the metal bent by the slide closing.
I had to do some straightening of the metal around the compartment itself so I could pop in the new rivets. A good use of my heavy, 5lb hand sledge hammer soon had the metal back in line. I then put in new rivets.
Before I installed the new rivets, I put a healthy dose of RTV silicone sealant around the face of the compartment to waterproof it. I put some extra rivets in to make the attachment of the metal face to the compartment box stronger.
Then I put another coating of the RTV silicone sealant all along the compartment edge to ensure a good waterproof seal.
After another sanding of the rusty areas, I coated the rust with a rust inhibitor. It has to dry 24 hours before I can paint over it, so I’ll do that tomorrow if it doesn’t rain as forecast.
Everything lines up and closes properly, so all is back to normal.
Here’s hoping I can go a little (a lot) longer between doing stupid things. ;c)
Next job is the water leak, the forecast calls for rain over the next several days, so I may just pull that slide in (I’ll move the chairs far, far away this time) until I can get the leak fixed.
Another joyful chapter of RV living on the road. :c)
Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.