Search This Blog


Sunday, November 7, 2010

Out Flat

Yep.  I'm out flat...on my back.  I threw it out again.  It's been a couple of years since it went out, funny (not really) I was with my grandson Andrew the last time and this time, too. :c0

I have a herniated disc in my lower back.  It rarely gives me any trouble, I sometimes notice it if I've been sitting a long time, like in an airline seat, then it gets a little achy.

Back in January 2008, Brian, our SIL, was overseas serving in Afghanistan.  Marti and I had driven up to NJ to be with Heather, Andrew and Owen.  It was a snowy day and Andrew and I were shoveling Heather's driveway so she didn't have to do it.  Andrew and I were throwing shovelfuls of snow at each other as we cleared away the snow.  I threw a large shovelful of snow over the wall next to the driveway and...BAM!  I had a flash of blinding pain as my back went out.  The next thing I knew I was on the ground in serious pain.  I called to Andrew to go get mommy and Mimi.  He walked over to me and dumped a shovelful of snow in my face!  He thought I was playing at the time.   I ended up flat on my back for a week with some really cool (legal) drugs as my back returned to normal.




Fast forward to last night,  I was helping Andrew hook some wires to a video game on the back of the TV set when...BAM!  Guess where I ended up?  Yep, the floor.  At least this time Andrew offered sympathy instead of a shovelful of snow. :c)

Little Owie ran to the freezer and came back with an ice pack for me, sweet little guy.

So I've spent last night and all day today with a heating pad on and eating bunches of Motrin every four hours.  Hopefully, tomorrow morning when we leave to fly home, I'll be mobile enough to make it home.

If my back gives me more trouble on the flight home, we'll have to make an emergency room visit for more of those neat (legal) drugs.

I wish we had the Journey, that way I could lie down on the couch while Marti drove us home.  Oh well, as a famous (?) philosopher once said: "It is what it is". ;c)

Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.

6 comments:

  1. take care of yourself!!.. you only have one back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I feel for you! I threw my back out years ago shoveling as well. Monthly chiropractor visits keep me aligned. I sit with my ole' friend heating pad occasionally though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer Paul! Next is the air travel. I hope that doesn't do you in. Take good care and may the force be with you as you prepare to and travel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm so sorry! But I'll tell you a secret - when you're fulltime you can walk across the border to Mexico and get some of those good drugs (legal) to keep on hand just in case!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your back troubles. You haven't referred to anyone as a "pain in the back" recently have you?...karma? Good luck on the flight home.

    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no -- we're so sorry to hear you threw your back out! Take good care.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete