Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Studying Pays Off

Good news, Bad news.  All the tips I received from y'all that have "Been There, Done That" really helped me out.  Despite the antifreeze taste of the prep medicine, I was able to keep it all in the right place this time.  :c)

And it worked.  And worked.  And worked.  And worked.  You get the picture.  But for some strange reason, I didn't sleep too well.  After another dose at 4:30 am, any more sleep was out of the question.

I never thought I live to see the day, but I was so tired, I wasn't even hungry.  That's a first for me.

Marti drove me to the hospital where I had the procedure.  I spent almost an hour filling out paperwork that I've already filled out twice before, not to mention the additional two times I gave all the same information over the phone.  I love thoroughness.

After about a half hour, I was called into a little room to get outfitted for the procedure, in one of those drafty, missing the back half gowns.  It was a struggle and it really didn't fit very well.  The nurse came back in and saw how little the gown covered my dignity and realized she had given me a small gown.  With apologies, she went and got me a man sized gown which, after donning, still was a bit drafty back there.

Then, two more people came in and asked me all the questions all over again.

Once the additional Inquisitions were done, I was wheeled away to the procedure room.  There were five people in there.  Just what I needed, an audience checking out my derriere.  Don't remember much more after that until I woke up in my little room again, with Marti sitting in a chair next to my bed.  I felt like I had an elephant standing on my stomach.

A nurse came in and she said the pressure I felt was from the air used during the procedure to inflate the pipes and it was all normal.  She said don't be afraid to let it out, after all, this was a hospital (huh?).  Funny, after she slipped out of the room and closed the curtain, I gave it the old college try and...nothing.  Tried again, same result.  Rolled around in the bed, tried a couple of different positions and a little squeak.  Then another squeak.  Then the flood gates opened and opened and opened.  I'm talking Niagara Falls here.  I passed so much gas the curtain started swaying in the breeze.  People in adjacent rooms stopped talking.  And it wouldn't stop.  I'm sure the people thought it was an earthquake happening.

So much gas passed, I could have filled the Goodyear Blimp.

Finally, I was done.  Wiping my brow, I looked over at Marti and she started to breath again.  She had held her breath so long she was starting to turn blue.

The doctor came in to talk to me, showed me some pictures which resembled some kind of sea monster and gave me a clean bill of health.  Phew!  I'm not fond of drinking antifreeze.

Now, for the bad news.  The house still is not selling.  We've had about 19 tours now and not a single offer.  We've dropped the price twice already and the realtors are saying to drop it more.  If this keeps up, we'll be paying someone to take the house off our hands.

We're going to crunch numbers again.  We're nearing a serious fork in the road and very shortly, we'll have to go one way or the other.  Drop the price more and hope that the house moves and get on the road with less proceeds for the future or pull the house off the market, put the full time plans on hold and wait for a more seller friendly home sales market. That's a big "If".  I'll have to go back to work somewhere for the time being.  So far, all my feelers have not uncovered any decent jobs. 

 So we're feeling stuck in neutral.

Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.


  1. I can't believe that your house is not moving, is everyone over there blind or something.

  2. So glad your procedure "came" out so well. Not fun, but necessary. Here's hoping the house sells quickly. So frustrating when things just are not selling.

  3. Lol, I had to laugh at the passing gas thing. When I had mine, I was in recovery next to an older gentleman, and he was really letting 'em loose!

  4. Your detailed explanation of "the procedure" was indeed ... well, detailed. Actually, it was hilarious! Good job and you even passed even though it took you two times to do it.

    Sorry about the house. Hopefully, the perfect person will show up soon.

  5. OMG! I can't remember the last time I laughed so long and so hard. I'm surprised Marti wasn't passed out on the floor! It must have been a great relief for you... enough said! :) :) :)

    So sorry about the house. Guess you should have done it in '06 when I did...

  6. That was hysterical! Poor marti :) Hope she's caught her breath by now.

  7. Well I'm glad you "passed the test" finally.

    No chance you could rent the house and go on with your full timing plans?

    I really don't get what houses people ARE buying if they aren't buying yours and they aren't buying Bill & Nancy's or Gin & Syl's. All really fabulous looking places. Is everybody looking for a fixer upper????

  8. I am glad the test had a good result, but I would not recommend these several posts on the subject about the process to anyone getting ready to have the same thing done:)

    Having already been through it, I was able to laugh:)

  9. glad to hear your 'procedure was a gassy good time'!! as for selling?..we are in the same 'boat'..we feel your pain!!

  10. LOL!!!! You always have such a way with words. That was hilarious!!

    We just can't believe your house hasn't sold yet -- it's beautiful! We'll just keep praying. Hang in there.

  11. First of all, congrats on your successful test and good results. I know that's a relief. Has Marti been through this yet? If not, I'm sure you've really given her something to worry about. But, wow, what a shame about your house. I say whatever it takes to go on the road. If you put it off, who knows, you might never do it. You never know what could happen down the road.

    Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

  12. Maybe you should use your amazing talent for story telling and write a book. Or free lance. You could write for Rving magazines, although they probably don't pay much.

  13. Glad everything came out okay! Wow, can't believe no one said that yet... I still recommend the pills instead of the liquid.

    Every time I see that there is a new post from you, I keep hoping that you will say the house is sold. Here's more hoping for a good result!

  14. Now that the test is "behind" you and you "passed" with flying colors, you won't have to worry about it for 10 years :-)

    So sorry, the house isn't selling. It's a frustrating dilemma. It was worries of exactly what you're going through that prompted us to put the TH on the market so much earlier than we thought we would. Timing is everything they say, and I am a firm believer of that. You mentioned your basement was unfinished ... any chances you could get that done as an alternative to dropping the price or pulling it off the market?

  15. I was sort of looking forward to turning 50 but now that I have to think about "the procedure" I am dreading it.

  16. Oh my gosh! Your story was a gas! I wish I had the cure for your house not selling.

  17. Your description of the gas made me laugh out loud! Only a spouse could be so very accepting hey? (smiles) Too bad on the house. We didn't let the failure to get our house sold stop our plans. We rented it and took off. It's still rented and for now not a headache at all. We don't even think about it most of the time. And one day, who knows, we might want to go back and live in Tucson at least part of the year. Think about how you can do your dream even if you can't sell the house.

  18. We had ours on the market for 17 months. Finally, someone liked it as much as we did and 3 weeks later we are homeless living in an extended stay place.

    Looking for a MH and still working. Life is getting better.

  19. Glad your "Procedure" went well and you have passed the test:o))

    Don't really know what to say about the house... Bill and I are right where you are and feeling your pain. We have dropped the price once more and now have to pick our "line in the sand" price. We have been on the market for 16 months;o((

    Don't understand why you would pull the house off the market?? You can't sell a house that isn't for sale?!?!

    Keep the faith...we will get'er done;o))