Search This Blog


Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Having your cake and eating it too.

Today's post has absolutely nothing to do with RVing.  Once and a while, you have to break away and do something different and what Marti and I did I wouldn't have missed for anything.

Today we attended the Change of Command ceremony for Admiral Thad W. Allen, Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard, who after serving in that capacity for four years turned over the helm to Admiral Robert J. Papp, Jr.  The ceremony was held in Washington, DC at Fort McNair.


The reason I went was because I had been on Admiral Allen's staff for two years and traveled throughout United States and all over the world with him on official business.  It was one of the best jobs I've ever had.



Over 3000 people attended and it was quite an occasion.


The really cool thing was the specialty cakes, carefully hand crafted by some of the Coast Guards finest chefs.  The following pictures are all items that are cakes.






All good things must come to an end, Admirals Papp and Allen cutting the cakes.

Afterwards, we went to Admiral Allen's retirement picnic.  There was one more cake there.  Note the figures of Admiral and Mrs. Allen on the bow.


I wished my former boss the best of luck in his retirement.


No uniforms, picnic attire!  I never did eat any cake, they were just too beautiful.

Now I better go read an RV magazine and get back on track! ;c)

Thanks for visiting and please feel free to leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment