When the buyers of our house asked for a 28 November closing date, we gulped and said "Okay". Not beating a dead horse (sorry JB), but we dug in and did all we needed to do to "Git 'Er Done".
Long hours, multiple trips to the dump, the Salvation Army donation center, Lowe's and the medicine chest for more Motrin. Two rental trucks hauling furniture to two of our kid's homes, one in NJ, one in SC for items they chose from our house. Getting our new mailing address in South Dakota. And best of all, squeezing clothes, dishes, plates and other stuff (Marti's Wii video games) from a 3400 square foot house into our Winnebago Journey. That battle is still on going, hopefully we'll be able to tuck enough of this "stuff" away so I can at least see out the front windshield when we pull out for the last time on Friday.
Then the last detail, cutting off the utilities and closing the accounts. Our Realtor said we had to have the utilities on for the final walk through on the day of the closing, then we could turn off the utilities. Also the homeowner's insurance could be cancelled.
I spent all morning listening to "Our Menus have Changed", "Press '1' for English" and "Please Wait for the Next Available Representative" recorded messages. Then I'd finally get the Representative that must have forgotten to press "1" for English because it sure didn't seem like that was what they were speaking. I set up all the utilities to be turned off tomorrow because most required a 24 hour notice.
When I got to the homeowners insurance, all I had to do was send them an email cancelling the policy. With all I was doing today, I didn't get around to it, but figured I could do it tomorrow.
So everything on our end was completed. D-Day was finally here and all we'd have to do was sit back and wait for the money from our sale to hit our bank account. Except for one "small" issue.
After not hearing anything, I called my Realtor and left messages, then sent an email. I figured if there was anything wrong I would have heard already. Finally this evening, he called.
D-Day didn't happen. Not because of anything we did or didn't do. Not because of anything the buyers did or didn't do. It was because the settlement company didn't get the work done. Seems they took off last week and every closing that they were supposed to do was not done!
Mike, my Realtor was very baffled at this lack of service and said that hopefully Wednesday we'll close. Unbelievable. Just goes to show that poor customer service is not limited to just RV repairs.
So I'm sitting back on my couch and having my nervous breakdown. I worked hard for it and I'm going to enjoy it. It 's mine and I'm not going to share it with anybody. ;c)
So D-Day gets an "F". Good thing I didn't cancel that homeowners insurance policy. Another speed bump on the way to fulltiming.
Thanks for visiting and feel free to leave a comment.